Tammy's Volunteer Tour

An Online Journal of My Volunteer Work in Tsunami Affected Areas in Asia

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Babcock Uncensored! ;)

Holy #&@%, I made it!
Before I begin.. just know that it took longer for me to get from Bangkok to Khao Lak, than it did for me to get from Toronto to Bangkok! Figure that out.. hahaha

From the beginning ....

I spent the evening before leaving with a few friends in Toronto and had a bizarre but wonderful time drinking a few and sharing some laughs.

Well I felt safe on all of the flights, but definitely not sober.. just what the doctor ordered!(Well not really, the doctor ordered me something I haven't had to tap into yet. haha)
The flight from Toronto to Washington was interesting, mostly because it was only 4 seats across and I'm pretty sure the pilot was also the stuart!
Layover what dogshit! enough said!
So I'm boarding the All Nippon flight to Tokyo and a Japanese man says "Hi Canada!" ya that's me! After telling him I was heading to Bangkok he had figured me out..."AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH you're a volunteer for the tsunami work" he said. Damn, I thought.. did my friends in toronto shave my eyebrows and write some message on my forehead? nope! I guess he felt I fit some profile of the typical do gooder Canadian. If there is one profile I hope to fit, that's it, so I was feeling pretty proud.
The flight went well but japanese flight food is not my idea of a good time. I did however enjoy the chopsticks. Maybe a little too much because the dude next to me ended up with food on his lap.. hahahhaa
Soooo I arrived in Bangkok just in time to miss my overnight train. I slept in some hole in the wall downtown that had bugs in the bed .. haha it has been interesting. I no longer have an alarm clock as I blew it up when I plugged it into 240v outlet.

I found out in the morning that it was now a Thai holiday and trying to get anywhere would be a real challenge. To make a long story short I headed back to the airport and took a flight to a place called Suratthan
(or something like that) and then a 6 hour bus ride into Khao Lak
I got off the bus, collected all of my luggage and walked for twenty minutes in the wrong direction. Thank goodness a local lady spoted me and offered for her husband to take me to my bungalow
I rested for the night and took in the sunset. This place is so beautiful and the people so full of spirit despite the disaster that struck not so long ago.
I am so happy to be here and helping out. The volunteers are great. The range in age from 19 to early 70's and they all have their own story as to what brought them here
God, I miss you all, but I need to take off to a meeting at the center and I am already late. Just know that I am safe and having a blast. Orientation was great and I will start work on Khao Ko island (something like that) tomorrow.. serious foundation work so I hear. :)


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Please click on the "Make a Donation" button if you would like to help buy supplies. (I've authorized Arcana Media to collect money on my behalf)